Give your data centre all the high-availability nines it needs
The inability to keep business-critical applications running can result in the loss of revenue, productivity and reputation. Maintaining the resiliency of Linux-based environments can be particularly challenging, since native tools can lack the resiliency features required to ensure that business services are always highly available. Linux tools are usually not easily deployable, require extensive support, and lack a cross-platform consistency or centralised management.
Symantec can help you meet rigorous service level agreements (SLAs) for high availability Designed to provide maximum uptime for your business-critical applications across Linux and other operating platforms, Symantec solutions enable you to achieve the following:
- Faster failure detection and recovery When even a minute of downtime is too long, Symantec can fast track recovery by firstly detecting failures faster than traditional clustering without significant CPU overhead. Once a failure is detected, failover times can be reduced to seconds when all servers in the cluster are connected to the same storage, eliminating the need to bring storage back online.
- Faster application recovery without compromise Utilise your resources as efficiently as possible by failing over applications to the most appropriate server without requiring an expensive standby passive cluster. In other words, instead of having one standby server to each active server, a “roaming spare” can be used to maintain redundancy. This ensures application uptime with maximum cost savings. And in virtualised environments, the latest version of Veritas Cluster Server by Symantec can recover applications without reboots and achieve less downtime for OS patching.
- Ability to failover entire business services Today’s critical applications such as a billing or trading applications are usually composed of multi-tiered application stacks (e.g. a Windows VM for the web tier, a Linux cluster for the application tier, and a Solaris cluster for the database tier), making it difficult to ensure high availability of the entire service. Symantec is aware of the interdependencies within each tier so you can now manage the entire application stack as one ‘Business Service’ allowing you to automatically orchestrate a recovery of the entire service with one click.
Maintain business continuity with a complete disaster recovery strategy
Many enterprises with a Linux environment don’t have set tools, time and budget to help them recover from a disaster and must resort to utilising data replication and manual recovery. Such a scenario requires a large degree of human intervention to ensure recovery, which is inefficient.
Symantec can help you recover quickly from downtime For effective Disaster Recovery (DR), simply having a DR site is not enough. You also need to ensure you can efficiently recover applications to the DR site so that your customers can continue operations. In the event of a complete data centre outage, it is imperative that business-critical applications be brought online as quickly as possible at an alternate site. Symantec addresses key recovery time objectives (RTO) with the following:
- Automated business service recovery Extending the concept of local high availability to wide-area disaster recovery, Symantec solutions can automatically help you recover your applications and databases to a remote location even thousands of kilometres away. Quickly recover all multi-tier applications to a remote site by orchestrating the recovery of web servers, application servers and databases even if they run on different operating systems and virtualisation technologies.
- Replication across multi-vendor storage Achieving data resilience requires replicating data from one site to another with high performance and minimal data loss. Symantec delivers file and volume replication that is also cost effective by enabling replication between arrays from different storage vendors, allowing you to replicate data to lower cost storage at your DR site.
- Disaster recovery failover testing Regularly testing a disaster recovery strategy is critical for ensuring successful recovery in the event of an outage. Symantec provides tools that simulate disaster recovery tests with minimal impact on production infrastructure. By starting up an application at the disaster recovery site as it would in an actual disaster, production applications remain unaffected, allowing you to avoid disruption and cost of traditional disaster recovery testing.